Galletitas de Moron are typical for the town of Moron, which is in the center of Cuba. These Cuban sugar cookies typically have lime zest, but we’ve kept ours with a simple vanilla flavor.
Cuban sugar cookies are somewhere between a classic vanilla sugar cookie and crumbly shortbread.
Although they are covered in sugar, they aren’t cloyingly sweet. They are perfect on their own or smothered with jam or dulce de leche. The kid in us wants just needs them covered with sprinkles.
Serve these with a café con leche or chocolate caliente.
Galletas de Moron / Cuban Sugar CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: CubanDifficulty: Easy
2/3 cup of sugar
1 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 ¾ cups All Purpose Flour
1/8 teaspoon of fine sea salt
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
Another ½ cup of sugar for rolling
Optional garnish – mango marmalade, guava jam, Nutella, dulce de leche, sprinkles, etc…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt with a fine sieve. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until totally combined (about 2 minutes). Add the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined.
- Dump the mixture out onto plastic wrap and gently help the dough come together.
- Measure out pieces of dough. You can use a tablespoon or mini ice cream scooper so each piece of dough is similar.
- Pour the ½ cup of sugar onto a plate. As you shape each piece of dough into a ball, roll into the sugar. The ball should be totally covered in sugar.
- Line two sheet pans with a silpat or grease parchment paper. Space out the cookies onto the sheet pan leaving some space in between. Lightly press down on each ball with the palm of your hand so the ball becomes a circle.
(If you want to use sprinkles, top the cookies now with your favorite kind so they bake into the dough)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will still be pale in color and will start getting a light golden crust on the bottom.
Cool on top of a wire rack.
- These cookies are delicious warm out of the oven or you can decorate them with any of the garnishes once they have cooled.