This No Bake Key Lime Pie Recipe is a step by step guide to making a fresh delicious key lime pie that you will enjoy all season long.
Our key lime pie is luscious, tart and sweet. Fresh key lime zest is folded into and creamy mixture for that signature tangy flavor. The Maria Cookie crust is laced with sugar and lime zest for the perfect balance.
Full disclosure this is not a total no bake, but we can call it a semi-baked pie because we bake the homemade crust. However we don’t need to bake the filling. Because of ingredients like cream cheese, whipped cream and Greek yogurt the pie only needs to set in the fridge. Key lime pie can sometimes be dense, but we think this recipe comes together for the perfect light and airy pie.
Key lime pie was synonymous with summer as a child. My grandmother Marta would buy the store-bought version at least once a week. It was always a little too sweet for me so when I learned to make my own it was something she and I enjoyed making and eating. My grandmother never imagined it was so easy to make. We hope you feel the same way!Ani
Key Lime Pie is something we always had for celebrations. My Abuelo Beto was obsessed with them, and brought a store bought version to every family gathering. I had no idea it was so easy to do, and am so excited to make this one all summer long!Cristy
Our Tips for The Most Scrumptious No Bake Key Lime Pie
- It is called key lime pie so of course we want you to use key limes but limes will work just as well. Take note in the recipe of the different amounts.
- Don’t skimp on the zest. It’s a game changer!
- If you want to make this recipe even faster use a store-bought graham cracker crust. This will make it a real NO Bake recipe.
- Once you bake the pie crust you must let it cool completely. If you pour the key lime mixture into a warm crust it will melt the ingredients.
- Ideally you would let it set up in the fridge but if you are pressed for time, you can put it in the freezer for 3 hours and then in the fridge for the last 30 minutes. This will allow it to set but the last half hour ensures you don’t serve a frozen pie.
- If you don’t love Maria cookies you can use nilla wafers, biscoff or any other vanilla cookie.
- Garnish the pie with sliced limes, lime wedges or mint leaves.
No Bake Key Lime Pie (Maria Cookie Crust)Course: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
30 Maria Cookies (about 1 2/3 cup), of finely crushed in a food processor
Zest of 3 key limes or 1 lime
¼ cup of sugar
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- Key Lime Filling Ingredients
6 ounces of full fat cream cheese, (must be softened at room temperature)
10 ounces of key lime or lime flavored Greek yogurt (we like chobani)
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1 tablespoon of sugar
Zest of 8 key limes or 2 limes
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed key lime juice
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
¼ teaspoon of salt
- Whipped Topping
1 cup of heavy whipping
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place your Maria cookies into a food processor and grind them until they become crumbs.
- In a small bowl combine the maria cookie crumbs, zest of 1 lime, sugar and butter. Mix together. It should resemble damp sand.
- Press this mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until it is just golden. Then set aside to cool.
While the pie crust is cooling work on the filling.
- No Bake Key Lime Filling Directions
- In a medium bowl beat the 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and a tablespoon of sugar with a handheld mixer to stiff peaks. It will take about 2-3 minutes. Set aside once it is ready.
- In a large bowl add the key lime juice, zest, condensed milk, key lime yogurt, salt and softened cream cheese. Beat with a handheld mixer until completely smooth. The consistency will be a little thicker than that of condensed milk.
- Then fold the whipped cream into the mixture. Be gentle! Try to keep the whipped cream inflated so it holds its shape.
- Do not add the mixture until the Maria Cookie crust is completely cool. It takes at least 15-20 minutes. Then add the mixture into the pie crust.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 6-8 hours. You can also put it in the freezer for 4 hours to expedite the process.
- Once you are ready to serve you can make the whipped cream topping. Beat the cold cream with a handheld mixer and add the sugar, vanilla and salt as the cream starts to foam. Then beat on high until stiff peaks form and the cream is smooth. It will take about 3 minutes.
Top the pie with the cream and garnish. Serve cold!