These Stuffed Peppers are such a great way to shake things up. The way we see it, traditional Picadillo (like Our Recipe) has 9 lives. Once you have made your Picadillo, there are so many different ways you can transform it.
You could of course be a traditionalist and only have Turkey Picadillo or Classic Picadillo over rice with a fried egg as God intended. But if you are wanting to live on the edge, or are just tired of the same old thing you could do tacos, A Tambor, or even Cuban Lasagna to name a few. However, one of our favorite ways is using picadillo for Stuffed Peppers.
We don’t have to work harder just smarter. Once you have made the picadillo, this stuffed peppers recipe comes together in a flash. On a week when you know you are making Picadillo we suggest making more than enough to ensure leftovers. That way you are getting more than one meal out of your effort.
Our Tips for Making Stuffed Peppers
- You can use Classic Picadillo, Turkey and Veggie Picadillo or even our new Instant Pot Turkey Veggie Picadillo Recipe for your stuffing.
- It is important to find Peppers that are wide and big enough to hold the Picadillo stuffing.
- You can use any kind of Pepper that you like, and even use different colors to liven up the presentation.
- Cooking the peppers prior to filling them helps them become a little softer and much tastier. If you were to fill the peppers and then bake, you run the risk of drying out the peppers.
- You can also add rice or more (or different) vegetables to the picadillo switch it up.
Once you are ready to serve, top with some fresh herbs and serve with a big green salad.
Stuffed PeppersCourse: EntreeCuisine: CubanDifficulty: Easy
5 peppers, cut lengthwise, remove all the seeds and white ribs
2 cups of shredded gruyere or cheddar cheese
1 cup of shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place all the halves of the peppers in a baking dish cut side up. Drizzle all over with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Fill each half of pepper with the picadillo completely. Top with both cheeses.
- Set oven to broil and place the baking dish in the middle rack. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts and becomes golden