This Truffle Mushroom Pasta Recipe is decadent and delicious. Let us walk you through preparing the perfect romantic meal.
We go crazy for simple recipe over here and this Truffle Mushroom Pasta is no different. It takes a handful of ingredients and marries them together in a way that elevates them into something special.
This Recipe walks the line between rustic and refined. Simple ingredients are elevated with the truffle lined cheese. Earthy wild mushrooms are cooked until they are deeply golden brown and tossed with herbs and fragrant truffle cheese for a creamy finish.
This recipe is a far cry from the “espagueti” we grew up with like our Cuban Spaghetti recipe which is drenched in sofrito and tomato sauce. This truffle mushroom pasta is delicate.
If you really don’t like mushrooms, you can just grate the cheese over any al dente pasta with butter to keep it very simple. However we really love the mushrooms in this dish. There is no other ingredient like mushrooms to enhance the taste of the truffles. They compliment each other perfectly.
Our Tips for Truffle Mushroom Pasta
- The secret to any simple pasta dish is adding the salty and starchy pasta water to the sauce as you are finishing.
- Try using an array of mushrooms because they will all lend a different flavor and texture. A mushroom like shitake can be sliced and the other mushrooms such as maitake or oyster mushrooms can just break apart into smaller pieces. You want texture.
- The olive oil and the butter should be the best quality you can find. We like to use unsalted butter from Pulgra, Kerrygold, Tilamook.
- The pasta quality makes a difference as well. Try looking for a pasta that specifies being “slow dried” or made with a bronze die. This type of pasta will hold its shape and have a delicate taste. We love using DeCecco or La Molisana.
- Wash the mushrooms and leeks properly. They both have a lot of dirt and grit. It’s important to clean them thoroughly and dry them.
Pair this pasta with our Oven Roasted Filet for a decadent dinner.
Truffle Mushroom PastaCourse: EntreeCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
4-5 oz of linguini or spaghetti
8 oz mixed gourmet mushroom blend, rinsed and dried
5 oz shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, drained and sliced
5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
4 oz of truffle pecorino, grated
2 tablespoons of chives, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
6 sprigs of thyme
1 leek, sliced, soaked and rinsed
4 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
Garnish with more fresh herbs and chili flakes if you want a spicy kick.
- Fill a large pot of water and set aside.
- Cut the mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- Use a large pan and heat to high. Once it is hot, add the butter and as it is melting add all the mushrooms. *don’t add salt or they will become soggy. The mushrooms need to cook for 7-10 minutes on high heat or they will become very watery.
- As the mushrooms cook and start to look golden brown, start boiling the water in the large pot for the pasta.
- Once the mushrooms start to brown, add the leeks, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on medium. If they are sticking to the pan add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the thyme and 1 tablespoon of the chives. Incorporate everything into the mushrooms. Bring the heat to low and allow everything to cook together for another 2-5 minutes. Taste the mushrooms and leeks and adjust seasoning.
- Boil 5 oz of pasta with salted water. Cook the pasta just until it becomes al dente. Ideally pull out the pasta about 2 minutes before the package instructions. It will be very al dente. *Reserve about 1 ½ cups of pasta water.
- Add the pasta into the pan with the mushrooms and ½ cup of pasta water. Cook on medium high for 3-5 minutes. As the water starts to evaporate taste the pasta. If the center of the pasta is still hard add another ½ cup of pasta water.
- Continue to mix together. *Finishing the cooking process of the pasta in the mushrooms and pasta water helps the mushrooms absorb all the flavors. Add the herbs and a handful of grated cheese and fold into the pasta.
- Serve the pasta and top with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous portion of truffle cheese