Pickling onions is not as hard as you would think. Once you learn to pickle, you can pickle anything. It’s such a good technique to add into your repertoire. You can keep your pickled veggies in the fridge and whip them out whenever the mood strikes, or if the recipe calls for it.
Check out our Grilled Avocado Recipe for a little bit of inspiration.
So let’s jump right in.
What you Need
- 1 large red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- A pinch of chili flakes, optional
How To Do It
- Add the onions, to a glass jar or container.
- In a bowl add the salt, sugar, chili flakes and vinegar. Whisk until everything is dissolved.
- Then add the vinegar mixture to the jars with the onions. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Finally just pop it into the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. If you can leave it overnight, even better. After that they are good any time you want to use it.
How easy is that? Enjoy!