Mariquita Crusted Oven Baked Fish is a step by step easy recipe to finding a fun way to spice up your fish.
Mariquitas are plantain chips. They are a classic staple that could be found in almost any Cuban household growing up. Luckily with companies like Chifle’s they are still readily available. Usually after a night like, Noche Buena, we have a ton of Mariquitas just lying around. We have a solution.
Mariquita Crusted fish is one of those dishes my mom would make when I was a kid. She’d let us join in on the dredging and breading of the fish and she would fry it.
How to Make Our Mariquita Crusted Baked Fish
Our recipe has the same idea behind Ani’s mom, Ana’s recipe, but with a few modifications. The first big difference is we are not dipping our fish in eggs. Secondly we are not frying. We actually have an oven baked option or a way for you to do it in the Air Fryer. . It’s not just to avoid the calories, but it will also avoid the mess in the kitchen
We have the directions for both methods down below. If you are going to use the Air Fryer (we LOVE THIS ONE), then keep in mind you won’t need the butter. When using the air fryer just take your mariquita covered fish and pop it into the Air Fryer at 400 for 10-12 minutes and it will be perfect.
What fish to use? We suggest using snapper or grouper for this recipe. The important thing is to find a white fish that is meaty and flaky. It will also work salmon!
If you love our Mariquita Crusted Baked Fish Recipe we have some other great ones for you to try:
Mariquita Crusted Oven Baked FishCourse: EntreeCuisine: CubanDifficulty: Easy
2 pounds of fish fillet without the skin
½ tablespoon of sazon or any fish seasoning you like
½ cup of ground mariquitas
¼ pound of olive oil
2 tablespoons of butter, cut in very small pieces
1 -2 teaspoons of salt and freshly cracked pepper
Garnish – parsley, cilantro and lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground mariquitas with ½ teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- Lay out the fish in a baking dish. Rub the oil all over the fish. Season with more salt and sazon on both sides.
- Press the crumbled mariquitas on to the fish. I like to do a small amount of the crumbs on the back side and most of the crumbs on the top.
- From this point you can toss it in the airfryer or bake it. The choice is yours! If you want to use the airfyer, you do not need the butter. Cook at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- If you want to bake the fish in the oven, top the fish with the small pieces of butter. This will keep the fish very moist. Bake the fish for 15-18 minutes depending on the thickness. Broil for 4-7 minutes until the top is golden and crispy.
- Serve with herbs and lime.