This Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers Recipe is going to be your new favorite go to weekday meal. It’s an easy to do sheet pan meal that is bursting with flavor.
Sheet pan meals are always part of our weekday arsenal because of their easy prep and minimal cleanup. We are constantly trying to come up with ways to mix up simple ingredients and find ways to cook them fast and easy.
This recipe is a culmination of that message. In about 30 minutes you will have a filling and healthy meal on your table. This is a true weekday miracle.
What You Need for this Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers Recipe
The title of this recipe is a dead giveaway. You are going to need sausages and peppers. However what makes this Sausages and Peppers Recipe different from most are the types of peppers we call for and of course the finishing touches.
This recipe works so well, because the sausage lends great flavor to the veggies as everything roasts together in the oven. We decided to use chicken sausage for this recipe but you can use whichever fresh sausage you like. If we had to pick a different sausage, Classic Italian sausage would work great.
The peppers we are calling for are Poblano, Red Peppers and Yellow Peppers. These peppers come together so nicely, and the poblano gives it that nice subtle layer of heat. However if you don’t have these peppers, switch out for whatever is on hand or you prefer. The peppers can even be substituted out for a different vegetable.
The cherry tomatoes pop and form a beautiful sauce balanced by all the herbs, keeping everything very moist.
Our Tips for Making this Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers Recipe
The nice thing about sausage and peppers is they take about the same amount of time to cook so you don’t have to worry about something drying out or overcooking. Here are our tips
- Get yourself a silpat. They are great to layer your cooking sheet and are good for our planet. Find them HERE
- Before roasting, poke holes in the sausage this will allow the steam to escape so they do not explode.
- If you want to substitute the peppers for something else, just keep in mind that whatever it is needs to be able to cook in the same amount of time as the sausages.
- You can even add a few more sausage links if your crowd loves the extra protein. This recipe calculates a little more than 1 sausage per person.
Like all sheet pan meals, this is a dinner on it’s own without a need for sides. But if you want to add something else, we would serve this with some greens like our Chopped Salad, or our Creamy Orzo. And like most Cuban households we’d serve this with a big bowl of Cuban White Rice.
Sheet Pan Sausage and PeppersCourse: EntreeCuisine: American, CubanDifficulty: Easy
5 chicken sausages
1 onion, thinly sliced
½ cup of olive oil
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 sprigs of rosemary, left whole
2 sprigs of oregano, left whole
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, left whole
¾ cup of tomato sauce
1 poblano pepper, sliced in large strips
1 yellow pepper, sliced in large strips
1 red pepper, sliced in large
¼ cup of parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Leave sausages whole and poke small holes with a fork or knife. (This will help the steam escape so they don’t explode in the oven)
- Add all the onions, garlic, peppers, cherry tomatoes and sausages to the sheet pan. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat all the veggies. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add the tomato sauce and herbs.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Give everything a stir. Bake for another 10 to 12 minutes until all the vegetables have softened and some parts have turned golden brown. You can always broil for a few minutes to char up some of the veggies.
- Discard the herbs. Slice the sausage diagonally and serve with onions and peppers. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.